Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Most Important Point Video Blog


 
Most Important Point Video Blog

           During my interview with a Technology Specialist in the Jefferson County Schools I was reminded of two critical points that were made and they were budget and bandwidth.  We discussed how important it is to have adequate funding available in order to make technology the valuable asset it could potentially be.  Additionally, the network infrastructure has to be strong enough to ensure that these technologies run efficient enough to the point that it is valuable in contributing to the overall learning process. 

          I want to go ahead and mention another thing that was brought up during my interview and that was copyright violations.  Copyright violations happen intentionally and non-intentionally and that is why I think that it is critically important to hold regular training sessions to bring awareness to this issue.  “Copyright remedies are far broader than those associated with other rights to control information” (Tushnet, 2014, p. 2346).

Why is this point important?

          These two points are important to me because in order for any project to be successful there has to be dedication to network infrastructure and funding.  The network has to be equipped with the latest and greatest layer 3 smart switches that are capable of being managed remotely.  Although these switches can tend to get a little expensive, but if they are effective in eliminating down time then I say spend the extra dollars.  When it comes to educating students, one of the worse things an educator can hear is that the network is down or the bandwidth is not enough to handle the devices on the network.

Did it change your views or ideas about educational technology or distance education?

          This did not change my views on educational technology or distance learning because I know that with any technological feat, there has to be a good foundation that is capable of withstanding the challenges that are put forth by the thirst for the latest and greatest advances in technology.  With proper implementation and dedication to the overall idea of a technological world, only good things will prevail.

How is this point relevant to you and what you plan to do after graduation?

          The point of having proper funding and proper network bandwidth is very relevant to me and it reminds me to be proactive in my approach in implementing an online educational course.  I will get with the powers to be and with my years of technology experience, I will make recommendations on upgrading the networking infrastructure where needed while at the same time finding ways to do things in a cost-efficient manner. 

          After graduation I intend to start my journey on becoming an online instructor and eventually become a college professor in the field of information technology.  My approach to teaching will be hands on which means I will incorporate a lot of virtual reality into my lessons.  Students today are focused on technology and the great things it offers and I intend to expand upon their interest in this field and build an environment that is conducive to training young minds.

 
                                                          References

Tushnet, R. (2014).  How Many Wrongs Make a Copyright?. Minnnesota Law Review,

          98(6), 2346-2374.
 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Isaac (Response from Tynisa Haskins),

    The two points you mentioned are indeed critical to academic institutions meeting the technological needs of the students. Without funding, schools will not only be unable to purchase software and hardware but will also be unable to maintain its use. Especially, in the wake of Common Core State Standards initiative pushing schools in 46 states and the District of Columbia to administer “next generation” assessments almost exclusively online; the possible demand for bandwidth could rise for all schools. Therefore, the Department of Education should mandate a funding increase in this area. Additionally, I understand the concern with infrastructure as well.

    Recently, I relocated from North Dakota and a great majority of the schools there are located in rural areas. The two main challenges with ensuring adequate internet connectivity are infrastructure and weather conditions. Fiber connections are a great option and could be cheaper than other broadband options, depending on availability; administrators there have the added concern of getting the materials there and establishing that connection across such distance. Notwithstanding the –degree temperatures that may cause drastic wear and tear due to months of extreme cold weather. Mobile devices can be more affordable than laptops or desktop computers to provide 1-to-1 connectivity; which may free up more funds to be invested in infrastructure.

    Quillen, I. (2012, October 15). School technology needs grow faster in preparation for common-core. Retrieved from Education Week: Bandwidth Demands Rise as Schools Move to Common Core: http://www.edweek.org/dd/articles/2012/10/17/01bandwidth.h06.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ike,
    Yes! Copyright is a huge issue!
    Check out this resource and let me know what you think!
    https://www.onguardonline.gov/features/feature-0004-featured-net-cetera-toolkit
    Have fun!
    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I already commented once, and it seems to have gotten lost in the "interweb" somewhere. So, I will take this opportunity to further condense what I said before. I agree with you, regarding the issues with copyright infringement. Comeing from a background in ministry, I think it is far too easy for those non-profit industries like ministries and education to argue that they are to small for it to really matter, or that the ends justify the means. While the students may never know the truth, how can we teach them to behave ethically and morally, when we are teaching them through unethical and illegal methods? It just won't work.
    That being said, I would make a simple statement of caution, regarding your call for more funding and infrastructure for school technology. I think we need to ensure that we are not viewing technology as a "magic bullet" to accomplishing the task of education. It is just a tool; a very powerful tool, but still just a tool. In an interview with Bill Selak, he emphasized the need for being purposeful in everything we do as educators (personal communication, October 29, 2014). We must ensure that everything we do is going to accomplish the purposes we have set before us as educators. I am not saying that you are not doing this. I am trying to clarify what I think you are saying, as I think that we too often view technology as an end in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your discussion about bandwidth is a very important point. Which did not come up in my interview, but my interview was rushed and interrupted frequently. It is very annoying to not be able to access a site when you need it or the internet is down due to this. I have an example. I was presenting a presentation on a day we call developmental assets. I was presenting to the entire high school. The presentation was a PowerPoint and it had several YouTube videos included. The internet went down right when I was to show the most important point of my presentation. I was so upset. So this is a great point.
    Another part of concerning our schools with bandwidth is all the electronically devices students are carrying around and using on the schools internet. That is a lot of usage. According to Wong (2014) "We need a robust network for content, communication, teaching and learning, and operations, but in order to do it, we have to invest in our infrastructure," to do so we do have to invest in the infrastructure to support such bandwidth.
    Also your interview had a point about money as well. In discussing the budget of the technology program. This was also a major point in my interview. A little extra money always makes things better. Great job!

    Wong, W. (2014). BOOSTING BANDWIDTH. Community College Journal, 85(1), 24-28.


    My video response can be found at~ http://youtu.be/Wllb73QAZVQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isaac, I enjoyed watching your post on your two most important points and in my interview, we also discussed bandwidth and budget. We did talk about budget that much, but bandwidth was discussed. I would have to agree with your post and it was very interesting to see the “behind the scenes” work that makes technology in the classroom happen! I know in my school, we have had several days that we come into school and our whole system is down. We can’t access the Internet, email, and attendance. This then puts the teachers in a bind as we have to change our plans if our plans for the day involved using technology. This can then tend to stress teachers out. So by making sure that the school/district has enough bandwidth and storage available to use the technology appropriately will allow for students and teachers to be effective. I also like how you discussed copyright. I definitely think that we should have annual trainings on this as like you said people mostly do it unintentionally because we are not aware of the copyright laws and rules.

    Maryellen Tissandier

    ReplyDelete